01 February 2005

Gente

Bloggin is beginning to piss me off..... 2nd blog that I spent time writing that disappeared, so I must rewrite plus my page is all messed up....

Have you ever wondered about the homless person you pass daildy on the streets. Have you ever though what they life must be like, not to have a home, job, family or seemingly someone who cares for them and their existance. I do!!

Now I see a lot of street people here in Caracas, more than I've ever seen in Barbados or in NY and believe me, you know that NY have a lot. But friends have told me that it's not bad here, that Mexico and India are worse, I've never been to those places, so I'll take their word for it. But you'll be amazed at the amount of street children you see here, but I might leave that for another blog by itself.

Here one person that stands out is a man we see quite often at night. He sit outside of a small fruit and veggie store and goes through their garbage. He takes out the spoiled furits, mostly oranges and bananas. He sits patiently on the crub, actually a little ledge next to the store... spreads out a newspaper and preceede to peel and eat his oranges and bananas. Now this man has a seemingly quiet apparence about him. of course his clothes are worn and dirty, but he always appears to have a haircut and clean shaved, maybe it's that he don't grow a beard... But night after night, he sits and have his dinner at this place.

I don't know the whearabouts of this man during the day, because I don't see him around like I see others. But I sometimes wonder about him. One night, the hubby and I stopped at the next door bakery and bought some bread. We decide to give him the spare change we had, he didn't ask for it, but we thought to give it to me. He refused it...Pride I guess...so we said no problem and moved along on our journey. We never see him chatting with anyone, just sitting there alone eating his furit and on occasions, a piece of bread or something. then he settles in for the night and by morning he's gone again.

I often wonder....what makes a person a homeless person..what were his life circumstances. Does he have a family, wife, children, brother, sister ect. Is he an alcoholic or drug addict?? Did he loose his job or does he have mental illness...What is it? Is he a product of his own circumstances or one of the society in which he was born or bought up in? Have you ever thought about this or do you just ignore them and keep about your business.

I am far from being Mother Theresa or Saint Campfyah, but when I do see a homeless person asking for a dollar, nickle quarter or as the case here in Caracas Bs 100. I simply give it to them and keep on trucking. of course some people are genuine and some are crooks...but I don't paint a wide picture... I do what little my heart move me to do at the time of asking. but seeing this man and his routine night, after night make me wonder abouth him and his circumstances. The man has never asked for money or anything, but I'm sure if one night while waking and he ask, I definitely give.


4 comments:

Abeni said...

Yeah I always wondered what circumstances brought them to that point.A lot of young persons I see on the street are there cos of drug abuse or in the case of children they have negligent parents.But the older ones make me wonder what happened to their families.

Abeni said...

Yeah I always wondered what circumstances brought them to that point.A lot of young persons I see on the street are there cos of drug abuse or in the case of children they have negligent parents.But the older ones make me wonder what happened to their families.

Scratchie said...

I am a lot like you Campfyah. I will give the street people the benefit of the doubt. There are the known con artists around but....hey? One teacher in high school told us that these people were there as a result of society's evil. He advocated that they were our collective responsibility. I have never forgotten that. I feel it for an old man or lady who can barely move araound who have to bear cold at night and try to find food in a cold society. These people are saying by their existence that they don't have anyone in the world to turn to for help. Really sad.

Jdid said...

great blog. I always wonder about that and more to the point what it would take to get me from where I am to that stage. may sound far fetched but some of persons on the street in North America at least started off with potential and dreams and businesses and great families and stuff lkike that but something went wrong. scary aint it?